Mold is not something you should take lightly. It can damage your home, furnishings, and belongings as well as cause mild to severe health issues such as allergies or asthma in some people who are sensitive towards the mold spores found on surfaces. Mold can begin forming in damp or wet patches within your home, which can be more common than you think. Living in South Florida, we experience high levels of humidity and constant rainstorms, providing plenty of opportunity for moisture to find its way into your home and create the perfect environment for mold to grow.
If you find mold growing in your home, here’s what you need to know before filing a mold damage insurance claim in South Florida:
- The best way to protect your home from the damaging effects of mold is through your homeowners’ insurance coverage. Most policies will cover you in situations where there was a “covered peril”, such as fire or lightning strike. Note that mold resulting from a preventable event such as a water leak, flooding, and high humidity aren’t always covered under your insurance plan, so we strongly recommend reviewing your policy before contacting your insurance provider.
- Document all damage by taking pictures, videos, and dated notes of all damaged areas.
- Immediately assess and clean up any water or visible moisture. Mold is known for spreading very fast, so any water left will likely be the perfect environment for more mold to form.
- Once the leak has been sealed and repaired, take out any rugs, carpet, clothes, and other materials that can retain moisture. These are ideal environments for mold to grow if left untreated. We strongly suggest NOT throwing away these items right away until your public adjuster and insurance provider have completed their investigations.
- Use fans/dehumidifiers to dry any remaining moisture in your home.
- Before contacting your insurance provider to make a claim, contact Barclays Public Adjusters. Our team of public adjusters are able to assist you throughout the claims process to ensure your claim is handled fairly. We will negotiate on your behalf to guarantee you get the proper claim amount when it’s all said and done. Do you or a loved one have a mold damage claim to make and are preparing to contact your insurance provider? Contact Barclays Public Adjusters either online or by giving us a call at (866) 724-4473 today!