Barclays Public Adjusters

Will Insurance Pay for My Air Conditioning?

Own Insurance

Air conditioning is a necessity in the hot and humid Florida climate. The good news is that in many instances, your AC unit is covered under your standard homeowner’s policy for repair or replacement – provided its damaged or destroyed by a listed peril in the policy.

Limitations and Terms May Apply

It’s important to understand the terms of your insurance policy before you sign it. The legal language and industry jargon that policies are written in can make them difficult to understand. Don’t be hesitant to ask for clarification on any point.

There may be limits in your policy as to how much the insurer will pay toward appliances in general, or on specific appliances. Your homeowner’s policy may also state the instances under which damage will be paid. Malfeasance and lack of maintenance aren’t covered.

How to Get Policy Coverage

If your standard homeowner’s policy doesn’t cover your air conditioning, many insurers will allow you to purchase a rider on the policy for an additional premium. It’s important to keep documentation of any maintenance, yearly check-ups and parts in connection with the AC. These can be presented to the insurance company if you need to file a claim. It demonstrates that the unit has been maintained in optimal condition.

If Your AC is Damaged

It’s imperative that you file a claim with your insurer as soon as possible. Depending on the type of coverage, the insurance company may pay for installing an entirely new unit or prorate the value based on age, which will be a lesser monetary amount. You’ll need to:

  • Provide a detailed account of how the damage occurred
  • Document the damage with images
  • Schedule an appointment with the insurance adjuster
  • Keep a record of all your communications
  • Get a written estimate for repair or replacement and submit it to the insurer

If you don’t hear from the insurer in a week or so, call to ascertain the status of your claim. If it’s been denied or underpaid, you can hire a public adjuster to facilitate recovery costs.

Free Consultation!

Skip to content